Saturday, March 7, 2009

An Evening At The Market

I went to the market (Pasar Tani) just now evening. Usually, I wouldn't go because there's nothing interesting much at the market. The reason I went to the market was because the electricity kept turning off and it has been a long time since i go there so I though I should visit the market. Everyone in the house went - Mama, Elee, Kak Tri, Kak Ani, Tok Nek and I - except Abang.

The market was the same as the last time I went there. Nothing changed I think. Mama gave my sister and I some money and we took off and bought drinks and snacks.

Then, I came across a tragic death. (Don't worry, it doesn't involve any human). I went to see a stall which sells fish and there's always a big bucket filled with water and live fishes. This is what happened: I saw this man, the stall owner, taking a fish with his bare hands. The poor fish flapped and struggled for water. When the man put it on the table, the fish jumped and wiggled. It seemed funny but at the same time I feel sad for that poor fish. The man weighed the fish. He said the cost of the fish to the buyer happily. Perhaps he was happy he got to sell a fish and get money. Money money money. That's all that matters in this world, isn't it?
After weighing the fish, he took a knife and cut its fins. I thought the fish would be dead by then but it was still alive because it wriggled a bit. But the hope of the fish flying away from his firm grip had gone away. That cruel man sliced open the fish's stomach and using his two hands, he opened it and took out the unwanted things inside the fish. And I could no longer look any more. The picture of the fish's blood is still in my head. I stared at the fish in shock and mouth wide opened. I quickly turned around and walk towards my maid and tell her what I saw, still in the same expression - shock. Gosh, poor fish..

When we're buying the second last food before going home, someone poked me. Amalina Radhia. She said hye and I slapped her arm. Hahaha. She just passed by.

So yeah that's what happened at the market today. Try thinking about the poor fish when you are eating one.


Save the animals;
DIYANA RAHIM

No comments: